Wednesday, June 25, 2008

2008 Wesak International Film Fest

Went to a film fest on 21 June, Saturday, or more specifically, the 2008 Wesak International Film Fest. If you don't already know, I am a HUGE movie buff. I try to watch as much movies as I can, preferably those that have garnered good reviews.

I didn't know about this film fest until after 16 June from The Star newspaper. I'm constantly trying to catch up with my stack up-ed newspaper. A few day's delay is normal. Once I even found myself reading the papers a whole month late = = But I digress.

The film fest was held in Malaysia Tourism Centre, which is very conveniently located just near KLCC. There's a monorail station, Bukit Nanas, and an Putra LRT station, Dang Wangi within walking distance. In fact, I'd have to say it's the perfect venue, what with big, comfortable auditoriums and halls to show the movies and some merchandise.

And what movie choices they were! They all have the common theme of Buddhism, but not in the preaching sense, as some might have supposed. The movies chosen came from around the world, such as Thailand, China, Tibet and the western countries.

My movie companions on that day were TiMyen and SoonTeng, and later joined by JiaXuan. The movies we went to were "Milarepa" (Tibetan) and "Oseam" (Korean). While the first movie had me and Teng very amused (the scene with a man running so fast that all you can see was a trail of smoke a-la Road Runner; and the horse-chase scene where the tiny ponies were forced to work their puny legs at top speed, which in our opinion, looks very silly), the message in the movie was clear: Revenge is for suckers. No, I mean revenge would not let you attain anything.

The second movie, however, had me bawl my eyes out. Inside I was crying, very shallowly, "My makeup!!" XD Oh dear, if they were out to get my precious tears, they could have just pried my eyes out. JUST KIDDING. I won't spoil the movie for you, but if you were to have the chance to watch it, remember to bring a tissue box. A beautiful anime from Korea.

During lunch we strolled around the place. The place is beautiful! We spent a huge amount of time playing with the fishies XD.

The starfish wants to kiss you.
And there were people making rice picture too.
And there's a giant Willy Wonka's chocolate factory too! No, I mean a chocolate boutique. Rows and rows of beatifully wrapped chocolate! Oh we were in heaven! And the price, oh my goodness I can't pay for them! They were obviously targetting the financially bloated tourists = = But there are individual pieces selling for RM 3 each. Our purses were feeling a bit tight that day, so we passed.

But if they were selling those really unique ones individually, I wouldn't have mind. I'm talking bout chocolates with mango fillings, coconut fillings, durian fillings, pineapple fillings, kiwi fillings, papaya fillings...I'm not kidding. They really do sell these in boxes. XD

You should have seen us taking the bus to KLCC for lunch. We were fumbling around like 100% pure-bred tourists. "Which bus to take ah?" "That bus can or not?" "We walk lo~" "Wah, dun wan la~" And when we DO get on the bus: "Wah, so convenient o, can take bus straight to KLCC o~" "Eh when to press the ring ring ah?"

After finishing lunch and successfully getting back to MTC via bus, upon jumping down the bus we were like: "Wah, you see you see, so many place can go o~" (we were looking at the Hop-on Hop-off bus sign) "I wanna go I wanna go~" "The sun very shiny la, wan stand here meh?"

Total fumbling tourists :)

So anyway to boost our country's tourism sector, we will arrange for KL one-day-trips somedays! We will join the likes of my friend, who wrote his experience in his blog, Project Transmission, and be good Malaysians and travel domestically! Via bus or whatever! And again act like the good tourists fumbling around in good o' Malaysia.

1 comment: