Saturday, April 5, 2008

Watched a Hindu movie today, "Viruddh". Had a very pleasant time! The story was nice, the actors and actresses were amazing to watch, and Amitabh Bachchan is my favorite! Made me think of those days where I would wait eagerly for Saturdays midnights to watch good Indian movies starring Shah Rukh Khan, Salman Khan and others.

Sadly I can't tell one lead actress from the other XD To me, Kareena Kapoor looks just like Aishwarya Rai! But the men have more distinct features, and are easier to tell apart. Actually, I have trouble differentiating Tamil from Hindu. Wikipedia doesn't help much. I wish I know someone who can help me point out the differences :(

Now I'm deeply interested in watching "Sivaji The Boss", which has set a box-office record in the Indian community.And I want to rewatch "Kuch Kuch Hota Hai". Watched it before, but I've totally forgotten the story. Are any of you guys interested in watching Indian movies with me :) ? Make sure there're good subtitles!

***

Went to Carrefour today and saw they're selling exotic pets in the hypermarket too. Terrapins, crabs, and even scorpions. Sure, some people would love to be different and keep those as pets than the all-too-familiar cats and dogs. But to me, I think it's unfair to the animals.

It's perfectly fine and beneficial to get a cat or a dog as pets, because they live better with us humans. Do you know while cats can live perfectly fine as strays, dogs are doomed once they hit the streets? Set a dog free and it won't live more than 2 years. Cats don't mind our company. In fact, they happily play on our love for them. I'm not sure about hamsters in the wild, but I guess they're fine as pets too.

But tortoises, monkeys, birds, and snakes? Most of the trading is legal, but I personally think that's getting too much. They're perfectly happy in the wild, they don't need us to take care of them. In fact, these pets suffer greatly under human care. Most owners keep them for their own enjoyment, and most get bored of them pretty quick. They either die from poor care or get released into the wild, only to die because they were never taught how to survive on their own because some heartless people caught them while they were still young, or wreck havoc on the area's ecosystem balance. Most of the exotic pets come from dubious tradings too. You might think that star tortoise sold in a pet shop is very cute, but a lot of them come from illegal tradings that contribute to their dwindling number in India. And do you know that clever talking parrot or macaw comes from South America, where they can fetch a very high price, but by catching them without restraint causes the macaw population to drop tremendously over the years?

http://en.archipelago.gr/story9-53.html

So do everyone a favor. You want to keep a pet? Adopt a cat or a dog from the pound or shelters. Instead of destroying our already delicate natural ecosystem, you're helping to solve stray problems and save them from getting put down.

Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment